My Hairstylist Broke Up With Me.

I feel like I just got dumped... in an eighth grade sort of way.

My talented and very nice hairstylist told me, in a letter, that she will be out of town the weekend of our wedding. The odd thing, though, was that the letter was delivered by a fellow parishioner at church last week. Chris thinks the stylist was afraid to call me on the telephone. I'm not a very "Bridezilla" sort of gal, but I can understand how it could have been an uncomfortable phone call. Or perhaps she lost our address and our phone number?

The whole situation is sort of funny.

Regardless, I've been thinking recently about hairstyles.


Considering hairstyles, shoes, jewelry, and all of the other required bride regalia makes me feel silly. I have a professional job, but I still just pull back my hair each day in a black band to make a messy chignon. I bought my first hairdryer last August, and I hardly ever find the occasion or the patience to use it. I do enjoy the thought of dressing up, but I'm not to stellar at pulling it off.

I tend to look like I'm trying too hard. The fun thing, however, is that I'm expected to "try hard" for the wedding and wedding-related functions. It's expected, and encouraged.

I'd like to wear a neat, curled chignon if I wear my hair up. It is a simple retro style, and it would be easy to clip in my veil for the ceremony and a decorative pin for the reception. The photo above gives a good idea of how classy a chignon can be... much better than my daily work choice!


(the fabulous Dita Von Teese! Her website may not be work-friendly, however, because she is a famous contemporary model and burlesque performer.)



(I can't find the source, but I know it is from OBT)

If I wear my hair down (which Christopher likes better) I'll go for smoothed waves. My hair, in its untamed state) is very thick and wavy. I hold a curl easily, and I think it would be fun to have retro-inspired large curls.

I would just have to pray for a cool and breezy September day, rather than an 85 degree and humid September day.

0 comments: