Something Old, Something New...

I'm sure you know the rest. :)

I want to share with you what I've gathered to participate in this old tradition.

Something Old
I have a silver claddagh anklet. My mother gave it to me when I was a teenager.

The claddagh is a powerful Irish symbol of love and friendship. In case you are not familiar with the story, I'll include the symbols and interpretation. According to IrishNation.com:

"The Claddagh Ring originated in the Claddagh fishing village near Galway City in the West of Ireland. The ring shows two hands (representing friendship) presenting a heart (representing love) adorned by a crown (representing loyalty) and it is thus the traditional Irish wedding band.

The motto associated with the ring is 'Let love and friendship reign'. "

I have always loved the symbolism of the Claddagh. I wear a silver Claddagh band as my "daily" engagement ring, so I do not harm the family ring Chris gave to me for our engagement.

Something New

Chris has told me, with a grin, that he has bought me a piece of jewelry as a birthday present. He wants me to wear it during the wedding. I've gathered that this is a necklace--because I am unable to wear most earrings--and assured that it will be "wedding appropriate." He told me he even tried the necklace on... to make sure it was the proper length. What a sweetheart!

Something Borrowed

I'm not sure what to borrow... or from whom!


Would you like to lend me something to wear during the wedding ceremony... or something I can sew into the seams of my dress? Please let me know :)

Also, I need to find a sixpence...

Something Blue

While I'm not a fan of the concept of the "garter toss," I did decide to go with tradition and wear a garter. I'll will be wearing the garter shown above. It is accented with pale blue... the same pale blue as included with our wedding invitations.

Where did the "bride's good fortune" rhyme originate?

The best answer I could find was from Ask.com:

"As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Christianity has long dressed the Virgin Mary in blue, so purity was associated with the color. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true."

And finally, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe represents wealth and financial security. It may date back to a Scottish custom of a groom putting a silver coin under his foot for good luck. For optimum fortune, the sixpence should be in the left shoe. These days, a dime or a copper penny is sometimes substituted, and many companies sell keepsake sixpences for weddings."

0 comments: