Thankfully...

the invitations are actually in the mail. Phew!

It took a far bit longer than I expected.
You see, the USPS stopped hand-canceling any first-class envelopes.


When mail is not hand-canceled, each envelope is run through a machine.

If the envelope
1) is too bulky
2) is not acceptably flexible
3) has too little postage, even by one cent

then the envelope may be
1) shredded by accident
2) accidentally opened/compromised
3) stamped with "return to sender"

*sigh*

I've had nightmares of our lovely invitations--the invitations created during a fun family party and entirely hand-crafted--would be destroyed by the USPS.

I admit, the invitation-anxiety is entirely linked to the phenomena known as "being a Bridezilla." I refused to accept that the local post offices refused to hand-cancel my invitations. I have friends in PA who have had their invitations hand-canceled this year. I have an acquaintance who was allowed to hand-cancel her own invitations, under the supervision of the Post Master, because the Post Master acknowledged the only reason the USPS stopped hand-canceling was due to the time it takes to apply each stamp.

Finally, I've decided to live "dangerously," as our local Postwoman said, and just drop the darn things into the regular mail. Some may have even arrived today. I sincerely hope none arrive looking as if a puppy played with them.

***Incidentally, "Bridezilla" is my most favorite portmanteau word: bride + Godzilla. It is memorable for my students, fun to say, and has delightfully satiric connotations.

0 comments: